Finding Your Fun in Fridley
Current Project Status
Fridley community members have been telling us our city parks need help. The City of Fridley listened. Starting in 2019, the City undertook a community-driven comprehensive park system planning process known as “Finding Your Fun in Fridley.” The process included community workshops and online feedback to help the City understand what improvements our community would like in the City parks system.
Draft designs were created for each park based on the feedback from the workshops and online. From March to early May, residents had the opportunity to provide feedback on these draft designs via an interactive map and in-person pop-up events. Thank you to everyone who submitted surveys and provided input! Your ideas and suggestions will help shape the future designs of Fridley parks.
Survey results and other feedback on the draft designs are being compiled and organized to help refine the draft design concepts and provide estimates. Updates on the project and recommendations from the community feedback will be discussed at the 2021 Town Hall Meeting on Saturday, June 5.
Updated draft designs will be available later this summer for residents to review again and provide feedback on. Stay updated on the parks system plan by subscribing to the bi-weekly e-newsletter Fridley For You, follow the City of Fridley on Facebook, Instagram and/or Twitter, or continue to check this webpage.
View a full project overview, read about the results from the past workshops, learn about next steps as well as how you can get more involved in the planning process.
Starting in 2019, the City undertook a community-driven comprehensive park system planning process known as “Finding Your Fun in Fridley.” The outcome of this process was a planning document that will guide the city with identified priorities for park improvements and investments to ensure the city has a balanced and equitable park system that meets the needs of the community.
The park system plan process has included the following:
- Development of a Project Goal Statement
- "Fridley’s park system will increase the wellbeing of our community by providing people of all ages and abilities with opportunities for active living, social connections, wellness, and nature."
- Feedback and data gathering through Social Pinpoint Pin map, community survey, and City’s Comprehensive Plan
- Four Community Workshops (See Past Workshops Tab)
- Parks & amenities inventory and assessment
Here's What the Community Said
The Fridley community values our neighborhood and community parks but want to see meaningful improvements and updates. Key community themes and action steps that were identified included:
- Improved Playground & Amenities
- Gathering Spaces
- Year-Round Use & Connectivity
- Unique Amenities & Experiences
The City of Fridley is now undertaking the next steps in achieving the community goals and objectives established in the planning process, which is developing an implementation plan, determining priorities, and identifying potential funding mechanisms.
To subscribe to email notifications for the Parks System plan, visit our Fridley For You News & Updates page and enter your email. If you are already subscribed to the Fridley For You e-newsletter, you do not need to sign up again.
Interested in Getting Involved? Become a Fridley Parks Champion!
Community members passionate about Fridley parks are encouraged to become Fridley Park Champions and help advocate for the future of our Fridley parks. As a Fridley Parks Champion, you should have a strong interest in the Fridley Parks Plan and are willing to share your voice in the community, online/social media, and ask questions. Our Fridley parks need your help. Let’s work together to build a better parks system!
Things You Can Do:
- Talk to your neighbors, and your Fridley friends and family about Fridley parks. Tell them to share their ideas and feedback for Fridley parks.
- Get on the phone! Call your neighbors, friends, and family in Fridley.
- Get social! Share your Fridley Parks story on social media. Share some of your favorite Fridley parks memories and what you want to see in Fridley parks with the community.
- Commit to talking to at least 5 people in Fridley about the Parks System Plan.
- Show up for your favorite Fridley Parks at the Fridley Town Hall! Attend the June 5 Town Hall to show your support and advocate for Fridley Parks.
- Adopt-A-Fridley Park. Learn more about the Fridley Adopt-A-Park program at FridleyMN.gov/AdoptAPark.
If you are interested in becoming a Fridley Parks Champion and getting involved to support the Fridley Parks System Plan, please contact Alyssa Kruzel, Community Engagement Specialist, at Alyssa.Kruzel@FridleyMN.gov or 763-572-3579.
What Happens Next in the Planning Process?
City of Fridley staff, City Council and Commission members will incorporate your ideas and feedback into the final set of parks designs later this year. Your feedback will be used to continue to help determine park improvement and investment priorities. Your feedback will also be considered as the community identifies potential funding mechanisms for park improvements and investments.
Past Workshop Resources