Home Remodeling

Whether it is time to remodel, add or change space, put up a privacy fence or build a shed or porch in your backyard, we are here to help make sure it is done safely and meets all city, state and national building codes.

Construction codes cover not only the structural aspect of construction, but also the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, sewer and water, and fire codes. Whether you are using a contractor who is familiar with all the codes, or are doing it yourself with little or no knowledge of codes, our process will guide you from start to finish.

If you would like to verify a contractor is current with the State Department of Labor (DLI) call 651-284-5005 or 1-800-DIAL-DLI (1-800-342-5354). You can also verify via the State website.

Programs to Help with Costs

The Fridley Housing and Redevelopment Authority provides a variety of housing rehabilitation programs to help residents maintain and improve their homes and apartments. Click Here To Learn More About These Programs.

Projects that Require a City Licensed Contractor

Certain types of projects require a contractor who is licensed through Fridley. Click Here for more information on these types of projects, obtaining a city license or verifying a licensed contractor.

Submitting Your Plans

Two complete sets of plans must be submitted to the Building Inspection Division for all proposed detached or attached residential construction. The plans must include a typical wall section, foundation plan, lot survey or lot sketch, and floor plan.

No building permit that involves a structural change will be issued without approval of plans. This requirement for residential plans also applied to other types of residential construction such as additions, decks, sheds, garages and egress windows. No plans are needed for re-roofing, soffit & fascia, replacement windows or residing. There is a fee for plan review for residential permits. Please call us at (763) 572-3604 with any questions.

Helpful Building Handouts