Building Permits

COVID-19 service update: City Hall is now open to the public, and Fridley inspectors are conducting regular inspections, both inside and out. 

Building permits PDFs can be found on this page and submitted to Trisha Lindahl, Permit & License Coordinator, by email at or fax at 763-502-4977. You can also drop off/pick up your permits at City Hall. 

Any questions can be directed to Tony DeForge, Building Official, by email or calling 763-274-4101.

Requirements For Permits and Applications

Permits are required to construct, add onto, alter, remove, demolish, or repair a structure in the City of Fridley. This includes everything from new homes and garages to remodeling projects that might include additions, siding, windows, roofs, decks, storage sheds, fireplaces, wood stoves, swimming pools, and hot tubs. Permits are also required for signs and commercial construction.

Note: Effective August 1, 2011, When issuing permits in compliance with the State Building Code to a residential building contractor, residential remodeler, manufactured home installer, or residential roofer licensed under section 326B.805, municipalities must verify lead certification qualifications of the licensee required under subdivision 14 for renovations performed on residential property constructed prior to 1978. Municipalities may charge a surcharge for verification of this certification under section 326B.815, subdivision 2.

Building/Demo Permit Applications

Fire Code Permit Applications

Attention Contractors!

Our permit application process has changed! There are now separate permit applications and submittal requirements for fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems, and tank removal process. More additions still to come.

Choose the appropriate permit application below and print off all the documents and follow the submittal requirements. Please submit all additional documents with the completed application. Any incomplete submittals will be returned to the contractor.

The Fridley Fire Department is located at 7071 University Avenue NE, Fridley, MN 55432.

Hours to drop off submittals are Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Otherwise you can mail submittals to the address listed above, attention: Fire Marshal. Questions can be directed to James Lange, Fire Marshal, at 763-572-3621.

 Visit our Fire Permit Page for more information and a fee calculator.

Miscellaneous Permit Applications 

Permit Information By Topic


The electrical permit fees are based upon circuits and type of installations. Prices effective as of July 31, 2021. Electrical permits are required for the installation of new electrical service equipment, and for any change in existing wiring, as well as installing/replacing fixed appliances and equipment connections. Follow steps below to apply for an electrical permit:

  1. Use the electrical application form (choose below)
  2. Add $1.00 State Surcharge to the fee.
  3. Make check payable to the "City of Fridley".
  4. Mail to: City of Fridley, 7071 University Avenue NE, Fridley, MN 55432
  5. Email to: or
  6. Call 763-572-3604 with questions.
  7. Call Bob Clausen for Electrical inspections at 651-777-7885 between the hours of 7 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.


Mechanical Permits are required for the installation or replacement, of mechanical systems in structures. This includes furnaces, gas lines, air conditioners and additional ductwork. The mechanical permit fees are based upon type of installation.


Plumbing Permits are required for all new or replacement fixtures in structures, and added gas lines. This includes replacement water heaters, gas fireplace inserts, plumbing fixtures and gas appliances. The plumbing permit fees are based upon type of installation.

Commercial Plumbing application needed for replacement of RPZ.

RPZ Test report will need to be completed for RPZ testing and rebuilds - no permit required.

Residential Plumbing permit application

The City of Fridley is offering rebates of $150-250 on Energy Smart/WaterSense labeled plumbing fixtures. Fixtures must have been installed after January 1, 2020.

Water efficiency rebate


Permit fees vary according to the value of construction. Building permit fees will vary for other structures such as signs, tents and manufactured homes. Other types of permits issued include sewer & water, moving, wrecking, load limits, construction water, tapping and street patch.

Suggested Resources